[ntp:questions] Re: how many servers should I poll?

Andrew Schulman andrex at deadspam.com
Mon Aug 11 21:37:39 UTC 2003

> Andrew Schulman <andrex at deadspam.com> writes:
>> My original question-- mostly lost-- was how to balance the desire for
>> accuracy against the desire not to overburden the time server network,
>> when
>> accuracy requirements are modest.  After all, I'm not running a physics
>> lab here, just a small home LAN.
>
> One solution would be for you to connect to three stratum 2 servers
> and then offer yourself as a stratum 3 server for other customers of
> your ISP.  Given that NTP has a very low load, it would make little or
> no difference to your WAN connection.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  I'd be glad to offer that service to the
community.  Unfortunately, Comcast forbids me from running any public
servers :(  It's a cable modem thing, I think-- they don't want me
saturating the outbound link, which has lower capacity than inbound.

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"