[ntp:questions] Re: Big time difference after synchronization in a short time

Peter Boettcher boettcher at ll.mit.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:05:49 UTC 2003

Zsolt Koppany <zsolt.koppany at intland.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> when I start the ntpd daemon, the date&time will be set correctly but
> after a couple of minutes I get a 2-3 seconds difference between my
> machine and the time server and the difference increases rapidly. I even
> have the problem when I copy the ntp.conf file of a RedHat-8 (Acer)
> desktop machine (where I don't have this problem).
>
> My environment: DELL Inspiron 8200 (notebook) with RedHat-9.

I think this might be related to BIOS APM calls, which are called
repeatedly by the battery monitor you are hypothetically running on
your laptop.  Dells have had this problem for a while.  Try getting
rid of the battery applet and try again.  I've also heard rumors about
recent BIOS updates at Dell which fix the issue.

--
Peter Boettcher
boettcher at ll.mit.edu