[ntp:questions] Re: clock resolutions for different OS

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Aug 19 19:52:32 UTC 2003

Drk Ryan wrote:
> Since operating systems such as Linux, Solaris, certain versions of
> Unix, and WinNT all run at 100Hz clock resolution how is it that their
> timimg suppport varies: FreeBSD handles nanoseconds, Linux handles
> microseconds and WinNT only ~10 milliseconds?
>
> As 1/100Hz = 10ms should they all not return a resolution of 10ms?

Since the moon is made of green cheese, we should be able to harvest
it and drive down the price of Roquefort.

IOW the first clause is false, why bother with the rest?

Most computers (and this is hardware, not OS, dependent) have multiple
clocks.  On FreeBSD the granularity of the clock is a kernel parm, but
there are of course tradeoffs in setting it to less than 1ms -- the
overhead in clock interrupt processing for example.