[ntp:questions] Re: "Can't set time of day: Interrupted system call" - who can help?

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Wed Aug 20 14:33:23 UTC 2003

justestin at yahoo.com (Just) writes:
> I changed the following:
> /* Define to 1 if you have the `settimeofday' function. */
> /* #undef HAVE_SETTIMEOFDAY */
>
> To this:
> /* Define to 1 if you have the `settimeofday' function. */
> #define HAVE_SETTIMEOFDAY 1
>
> Now, ntpdate sets the time of day and ntpd will step when required
> with no more "Can't set time of day: Interrupted system call" errors.

That's fascinating.  First, it leaves the question of why ./configure
didn't think HPUX had settimeofday()?

Second, why the error message "Can't set time of day: Interrupted
system call"?  Clearly, ntpd got into a position where it needed
settimeofday(), but the code thought that function wasn't supplied.
Why didn't it say that in the error message, rather than the deceptive
"Interrupted system call"?  My guess is that the #define's don't
handle the #undef HAVE_SETTIMEOFDAY case correctly.

Dale