[ntp:questions] Re: ntp time synchronization

Piotr Trojanek ptrojane at mion.elka.pw.edu.pl
Thu Aug 21 12:04:39 UTC 2003

In article <bi2den$4go3s$1 at ID-42950.news.uni-berlin.de>, Thomas Jachmann wrote:
>I have set up ntp and ntp-simple on a server (Debian woody) to synchronize
>its time with some external servers. This works well so far. Am I right that
>this server is a time server itself now?

true. it becomes time server itself by default and you would have
to manually add access restrictions.

>I would like to synchronize all
>other computers with this server. Which software do I have to use for this?
>ntpdate can only be used to synchronize manually. But I'd like to constantly
>keep the computers in sync. Do I have to install ntp and ntp-simple on each
>client as well and direct it to the time server?

ntp-simple should be enaugh, but you will not be able to
use ntpq/ntpdc tools from client. it is common scenario for
network of workstation -- normally users don't have to use
this tools and you can use them from your main server.

please note, that all workstations should be pointed to _your_
server and NOT to one from public list.

--
Piotr Trojanek