[ntp:questions] Re: ntp time synchronization

Thomas Jachmann hoto99 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 21 15:14:33 UTC 2003

"Piotr Trojanek" <ptrojane at mion.elka.pw.edu.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> ntp-simple should be enaugh, but you will not be able to
> use ntpq/ntpdc tools from client. it is common scenario for
> network of workstation -- normally users don't have to use
> this tools and you can use them from your main server.

So let's see if I get this right:
The package ntp-simple contains the demon that queries ntp servers and sets
the local date accordingly while the package ntp contains the demon that
acts as an ntp server itself? I only have one process ntpd on my time server
as well as on my client... shouldn't there be two processes on the server
then?

BTW, the client doesn't change its time... does this take some time (hours)?
Can I check in some log files (which?) what's going wrong?

Regards,
Thomas