[ntp:questions] Re: Problem starting ntpd

Paul Croome Paul.Croome at softwareag.com
Fri Aug 22 11:35:54 UTC 2003

Hallo Dale,

Thanks for your comments; they helped me to focus on the problem.

I commented out the line:
  /* Can we use SIGIO for tcp and udp IO? */
  /* #define HAVE_SIGNALED_IO 1 */
in the config.h file and recompiled. Voila! ntpd now starts up
and runs normally. I shall check whether its performance
(jitter, stability) is compromised.

BTW: The child process seems to take about 15 seconds
to do its thing. Is the parent process too impatient?

I don't pretend to understand this stuff...

Cheers,
Paul

Dale Worley <worley at dragon.ariadne.com> wrote in message news:<87r83gp5pu.fsf at netnews.comcast.net>...

> > Starting the daemon with 'ntpd -dddd' mostly, but not always, gives:
>  [...]
> > Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
>
> Something very bad is happening in NTP

I agree!