[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client as service on Win2K

David W.E. Roberts nospam at talk21.com
Sat Aug 23 08:18:37 UTC 2003

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:QLu1b.1835$7M.15128676 at news-text.cableinet.net...
> > "C:\>net time
> > Could not locate a time-server.
> >
> > More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3912."
>
> NET TIME on its own does not use NTP.
>
> Type "net help time" for a more detailed description.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks for that - just read the help 3 times and still find it ambiguous :-)
I presume it means that without parameters it assumes you are looking for a
PDC as time server.
If so, it doesn't give any mechanism to check that your NTP synchronisation
is working :-(

Found a post on another newsgroup (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
which gave a method for stopping the time service and running
"W32TM -V -ONCE" for a one shot verbose run of the time service to prove it
is working.

Very crude, though :-(

Cheers
Dave R