[ntp:questions] Re: Trimble Setup Question

Thu Aug 28 06:50:05 UTC 2003

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

> Brad,
>
> I'm really nervous about your message about the planned migration of faq
> to twiki. By reputation the faq is understood by everybody - a flat

Hi everybody,

maybe I can also add a comment or two...

> document that can be read by anybody without special tools. If a
> byproduct of the twiki was to produce such a flat document, even if the
> best features could be enjoyed only by twiki participants, I would not
> feel so uneasy. As it is, complexity and abstraction pile on each other
> in just about everything you guys do, and the sad part about it is you
> guys collectively don't realize how insidious and even insulting to the
> average joe newbie this has become.

The FAQ maintained by me had "document character" so far. That is, it
had a release and was consistent as a whole (as good as it gets). With
TWIKI and almost immediate updating of any part, that document
character is lost. THis may make referring to a specific part more
difficult. I also took more care when assigning anchors than most of
you might think, and I always made sure that any hyperlink within the
FAQ actually worked.

While the ability for immediate online update is great, it really does
not help me. I'm an offline-guy. Occasionally material lies around on
disks and floppies for weeks or even months. Eventually I have time to
complete or integrate the material, and then comes a new release
(which I would put on CVS). You cannot have unfinished updates in
TWIKI I think, can you?

Regards,
Ulrich