[ntp:questions] Re: Trimble Setup Question

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Aug 28 12:50:49 UTC 2003

At 6:57 AM +0000 2003/08/28, David J Taylor wrote:

>  "Better" here is subjective - I find the garish colours both amateurish
>  and very distracting!  Some very subtle shading for sections would be OK,
>  but in this document there are places where almost every other word is a
>  different colour.

	We're talking about the page at
<http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/NTP/GettingStarted>, right?

	The pale mint green color on the left and at the top is a visual
separator of the main content from the sidebar and the TWiki menu
options.

	The cornsilk blue color used throughout the body of the document
is used to indicate a word or phrase that links to another page or
another part of a page.

	The darker blue color is used to indicate section headings.

	The teal boxes are actually tables that are used to set off
OS-specific features or issues.

	Looking more closely at this page, I see nine links towards the
top of the page, each pointing at a different section of the
document.  No problem there, this isn't really any different from any
other web page that provides links at the top to various sections
below.

	Within Steps 0 and 2-7, there are no links.  Within Step 1 and 8,
there is one link each.  Again, I don't see any problem here.

	Within Steps 3 & 4, there are OS-specific sections for Debian,
FreeBSD 4.x, and Solaris 9 for several different items.  Is this
confusing to you?  What would you suggest as being better?  This
makes a lot of sense to me, since each OS seems to have their own way
of doing various things.  But if it is confusing, we should try to
find a way to improve it.

>                     This reduces the readability of the document very
>  considerably.  If this is a side-effect of Twiki, then it has lost my
>  vote.

	You should be able to go to the page in question and click on the
"Edit" button at the top of the page, and see for yourself how this
page is structured.  If you actually want to edit or correct the
page, you'll need to set up a TWiki account for yourself, but that
should only take a couple of minutes.