[ntp:questions] Re: [ntp: questions] Twiki, answers, faq ?????

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Aug 28 20:09:49 UTC 2003

At 4:45 PM +0000 2003/08/28, David L. Mills wrote:

>                                                   However, I see very
>  little utility in the scheme over other traditional means which simply
>  publish message archives you can find readily via google.

	If that truly worked and was sufficient, then you would not have
had to write any documentation at all, and we wouldn't need a FAQ.

	The truth of the matter is that both documents are written in a
particular style, one that some people find difficult to access.

	We're just trying to find alternative ways to serve the entire
community.  You may not like them, you may not use them.  But there
are other people within the community that like and even prefer tools
and information sources like this.

>                                                            I don't see
>  anything to be gained relative to the time and effort mastering the
>  learning curve and, frankly, I would be far happier if the Corps spent
>  more time improving the core product and less on toolmaking.

	How could we do that?

	You won't let anyone else touch the core algorithms.  You have
insisted that no new features be added to the code until the next
releases are cut, and those are gated on things like access to the
back room machines where the testing can be done.  Of course, you
have now kicked everyone off the back room machines, so it's pretty
hard to get any work done.

	When Danny was trying to debug IPv6 problems, you can't give him
any useful information.  Danny was finally able to get some help from
John Hay -- if not, the IPv6 problems might never have been found and
fixed.