[ntp:questions] Re: Trimble Setup Question

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Sat Aug 30 02:35:08 UTC 2003

In article <3f4fc44a$0$76458$e4fe514c at dreader8.news.xs4all.nl>,
M.C. van den Bovenkamp <marco at linuxgoeroe.dhs.org> wrote:

>>     That sure sounds to me like you saying that not only is twiki a
>> complete waste of time, but that no one should be allowed to use it.

>I read it as "I don't give a toss about what someone *else* does, but
>*I* am not going to change my ways".
>
>Not the same thing at all.

Whether it is the same thing depends on whether you expect to be Boss.

The problem here is that Dave Mills has been too competent for too long.
He keeps plugging away on the protocol and a series of implementations
that have been better than what anyone else has been able to or cared
to take the time and effort to produce.

Good, solid work attracts people who would be committee chair and tell
whoever has been doing the work the way it should have been done and
how to fix it.  If the incumbent fails to take orders and be properly
respectful of the new commissars, they throw tantrums and cry that
the incumbent is nasty and obstructing progress.  The commissars
demand not only all of the tools and ideas the incumbent has developed,
but also that the incumbent fix the wonderful new ideas that always
turn out to be not quite as perfect in implementation or practice as
the wonderful new theory predicted (to put it mildly).  The commissars
always claim to be speaking for a large group of users or developers
that is being obstructed by the non-team playing incumbent.  They
never understand that if they would just shut up, take their own
orders, and spend their own time and effort building their wonderful
vision, then their version would take over and they'd be more
famous and powerful than the incumbent and wouldn't need to deal with
tiresome non-team players....or maybe they do understand the reality
of what they are all and are trying to do too well.

I've been around that merry-go-round more than once and so suspect
even the well intentioned of trying to work that "social engineering"
on me until they prove otherwise.  I tend to tell everyone "Here's
the source.  Do whatever you want but don't ask me to endorse (what
you say are) your ideas by making them work."  About 60% of the time
that turns out to be wise, but the rest of time time it hurts because
I don't get or take seriously good bug reports or ideas.

For better and worse, I'm proud to wear the many "Non-Team Player"
badges I've been awarded by people felt that their winning ways
and ambitions required them to appoint themselves my boss.  The
latest example was someone last week who got miffed when I told
him to stuff the NDA that I was supposed to sign to learn how to
fix the Distributed Checksum Clearinghouses, my open-source anti-spam
thing that's handling >40M msgs/day.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com