[ntp:questions] Re: Tinker freq freq

wayne wayne at midwestcs.com
Mon Dec 1 05:02:35 UTC 2003

In <vs2esv0o9ntpauo2v7h5vii805rug5bibr at 4ax.com> Dusty Bin <junkmail at mmscomms.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:35:23 +0000, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Dave,
>>
>>Why in the world woud you do this?
> It is perhaps related to the thread "is there a way to "lock" the drift
> frequency", which stimulated this experiment.  There are three machines
> running ntp on w2k here, but one oaccaisionally exhibits a fairly extreme
> transient behaviour, including the drift value becomng anomalous.

Indeed, I tried using the tinker value in order to try and lock the
drift frequency.  It didn't work.  I *did* read the doc, but I don't
remember any dire warnings as David Mills says there are.  It was over
a year ago when I tried it, so the documentation could easily have
changed and/or I could easily have forgotten stuff.

-wayne