[ntp:questions] Re: ntp on linux (RH9) configuration problem

Paolo Airaldi paolo.airaldi_removeme at nospam.tin.it
Fri Dec 19 07:35:28 UTC 2003

"Andrew" <andrew at arda.homeunix.net> wrote in message
news:7UvEb.19536$CK3.1855429 at news20.bellglobal.com...

> > I've got also other restrict lines (for servers and internal lan) but it
> > seems that with "restrict default ignore" uncommented that entries are
> > ignored. I also tried to configure like you did, but it seems it doesn't
> > works.
>
> Well, something isn't right because I use 'restrict default ignore'
> along with other restrict lines and things are working for me. The order
> of the restrict statements matters. What does your ntp.conf file look
like?

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap
restrict ntp1.ien.it mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
server ntp1.ien.it
restrict ntps.net4u.it mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
server ntps.net4u.it
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
authenticate yes
keys            /etc/ntp/keys
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

> Did you see ntp packets being sent and received by your time server?
> Unless you've seen time sync packets arriving at your time server, you
> can't rule out your firewall as the cause of your ntp issue.

if I use ntpd -d I can see reply packets from public time servers.

Thanks again

Paolo