[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdate returns a wrong date

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Fri Dec 19 08:04:55 UTC 2003

In article <3fe29df1$1 at newsgate.hku.hk> lai <lai> writes:
>William Park wrote:
>
>> Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Try
>>>
>>>  cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Hong_Kong /etc/localtime
>>>  reboot
>>>
>>>- though there is probably some GUI tool that can do it for you...
>>

>> OP should check if he should do 'cp' or 'ln'.  On my Slackware Linux,
>> /etc/localtime is symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/...

Right - any system will probably work with either cp'ed or ln'ed, but of
course if you blindly cp over a ln'ed /etc/localtime you will actually
overwrite the file in /usr/share/zoneinfo that the link points to...

>great!! It works perfectly!!! Thank you very much Per Hedeland.
>Also thanks to William. I think fedora is more or less the same as RH9
>and it uses a copy of zoneinfo file instead of a symbolic link.

You may also want to update the ZONE= definition in /etc/sysconfig/clock
(assuming there is one) to give "Asia/Hong_Kong" - I'm actually not sure
what that is used for if anything, something to do with setting system
time from the TOD clock at boot maybe, but I don't really see why it
would be needed for that.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org