[ntp:questions] unix and windows environment sync to one NT4 timeserver "HOW"

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:06:47 UTC 2003

Guys,

For whaterver reason my Win/XP PE is now returning time to a Solaris
ntpd configuration. When I tried last night, it did not return anything
to ntpd for several minutes, but now apparently has learned to do that
without further instructions on my part. There are no firewalls involved
and no port filtering. The XP box is synchronized to time.windows.com,
although the dispersion is really high as expected and all the NTP
header fields look just fine.

Upon further adventure, I tried symmetric active mode. The XP box
returned a server packet, which was not expected, but not surprising either.

Darn, next we know XP will come up encryptable, learn how to broadcast
and respond to monitoring packets.

Awesome.

Dave