[ntp:questions] Re: Public servers?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Jul 31 23:53:54 UTC 2003

Harlan,

I apologize if my previous messages have not adequately and strongly
emphasized the issue: No cigar unless some way is found to either
guarantee a priori that servers returned by a ad hoc discorvery agent
have volunteered ubiquitous access (pool.ntp.org) or to respect the
rules of engagement prescribed in the public lists. Routine violation of
these rules has led to the premature departure of several servers
operated by national laboratories, which is a damn shame.

If somebody independently discovers one of our heavily restricted
servers and then comes up without knowing about or agreeing to the rules
of engagement in the public lists, I get really ugly, inspirationally
rude and in general creatively revengeful. There are a couple of server
operators in the public lists who are even more inflamable than me.

Please note really very carefully, there are numerous private stratum 1
and 2 servers whose access controls forbid no access outside the
institution at all. We have many servers in that category now protected
by draconian access control lists. You find one of those and you get a
kiss-o'-death packet in reply. It would then seem to require ad hoc
address collectors to properly respond to kiss packets.

Twiki not spoken here. Please keep this discussion on public airwaves
and not in in chat rooms.

Dave