[ntp:questions] Re: GMT: UT1 vs UTC

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Mon Nov 3 00:50:11 UTC 2003

wolfgang+gnus20031101T172844 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) wrote in message news:<x7fzh7blnq.fsf at capsicum.wsrcc.com>...
> > I do worry, the recent firmware bug (one-second glitch) on my Oncore,
> > caused by a missing leap second, makes me quite confident that a
> > negative leap second would indeed be a disaster.
>
> If only Motorola would offer the raw GPS time (along with the GPS-UTC
> offset) this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Isn't GPS time what you get if you use the Motorola binary command set "@@Aw"
option with UTC Time Correction disabled?  And I think you still can
get the offset with "@@Bo" even if UTC has been disabled.

> I wonder why all the
> clock-chip (and gps) manufacturers insist on handing one Y-M-D H:M:S
> and then making one convert back to a useful number.

Are you talking about NEMA mode maybe?  I will agree that NEMA time
handling is pretty sucky (even if it does work 99.99999999% of the time...)

Tim.