[ntp:questions] Re: GMT: UT1 vs UTC

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon Nov 3 08:57:50 UTC 2003

Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Positive?  Negative?  Leap seconds?  Let's call the
> whole thing off.  TAI as the base timescale, puhleeze,
> people!  It would save a lot of heartache and nonsense
> (uh, with due respect to Dr. Feynman, on a macrocosmic
> scale, is time not monotonic?  I thought so)

The only real problem, as has been observed by lots and lots of people
before me, is that we would like to use a single time scale to measure
two different things:

1) TAI-style monotonically increasing equal-sized seconds

2) Calendar events, tied to the Earths motion around the Sun.

This simply isn't possible, at least not perfectly and for future dates,
because it means that you must at least be able to predict exactly which
values the Earth Rotation guys are going to measure.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>