[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 17:28:07 UTC 2003

> I wish that'd work, but given the current economic climate I can't
> imagine ISPs volunteering to run and support yet another service. It's
> also asking too much for most users to configure an NTP server at all,
> although maybe DHCP would help.

My ISP's ntp server (in the UK) was taking a US clock as its sync source,
and as it has an asymmetrical path to the US, it was 20msec off.  Good
marks for effort but poor marks for achievement!

> We've already got the servers. MacOS has ntp.apple.com and Windows has
> time.windows.com. They use them by default. Together that should
> service 99% of the desktop computers on the Internet. But it doesn't
> seem to be sufficient. Why not?

ntp.apple.com is on the wrong continent for me - do you know if direct
connections to the European versions are allowed?  The Eurpoean ones look
in good sync, although about 3msec out from the US server.

time.windows.com does not respond to an ntpq -p request, so I won't trust
it.

Cheers,
David