[ntp:questions] ¿habla español? / server quality monitoring / DNS round robin and Sun's nscd

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder grazdan at fortytwo.ch
Mon Nov 3 21:27:36 UTC 2003

Hi again!

I've been working on my maintenance scripts, and others have helped the
pool.ntp.org project, too. So I'm really a happy man! Current server count
is 98, so I guess we can put the Champagne in the fridge :-)

Topics covered:
 - A new translation
 - Timeserver monitoring
 - Sun's nscd
 - maxpoll 12

¿habla español?
---------------

No, I don't speak spanish (and therefore I expect there'll be a stupid
grammar/spelling error in this title). But Xisco Lladó does and so there is
now a spanish translation of the www.pool.ntp.org web site at

        <http://pool.ntp.bitic.net>

Thanks a lot!

Timeserver Quality Assessment
of the nameservers, I set to work out a scoring system so that bad
nameservers would be taken out of the nameserver zones. It's not perfect,
yet, but it does get unreachable (or falseticking) nameservers removed
quite quickly. It is a bit slower to add them again - and I think this is a
good thing, too.

I already summarized how the system works in another email, so please see
there for more information:
        <https://fortytwo.ch/mailman/pipermail/timekeepers/2003/000135.html>

In addition, a new mailing list has been created:
timekeepers-bulletin at fortytwo.ch. It carries a daily summary of the servers
that are *not* carried in the pool.ntp.org zone files.

Sun's nscd
----------

In the last newsletter, I recommended that people should not use the
nameserver caching daemon (nscd) on Sun Solaris as it doesn't do
round-robin on nameserver entries.  Richard S. Shuford of Sun kindly
pointed out that this sledgehammer method is not necessary:

|Sun does not recommend the brute force of killing the nscd daemon.
|The supported solution is to configure it to not cache hostnames.
|In the file /etc/nscd.conf, uncomment the line
|
|#       enable-cache            hosts           no
|
|optionally (if IPv6), add
|
|        enable-cache            ipnodes         no
|
|See "man -s 4 nscd.conf".

I'm only guessing here - other Unixy systems may have the same problem, and
perhaps even the same solution.

maxpoll 12
----------

A small note at the end: Some may have noticed that I used to recommend the
use of 'maxpoll 12' in the configuration file for users of ntpd.conf.
There was some discussion of this in the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup,
with David Mills arguing that the algorithms in ntpd were designed to work
best with maxpoll value of ten.  If you're interested, you can of course
read the original thread on google:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=3F90BC56.A5BAE1B9
40udel.edu&rnum=1>

greetings from Switzerland