[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Mon Nov 3 22:10:21 UTC 2003

After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> belched out...:
>> Searching for 'ntp server fudge site:www.ntp.org' returns 1 hit.
>>
>> > into Google I would get the Official Documentation on the first page
>> > of hits, but no. The official documents don't even appear in the first
>> > three pages of results!
>>
>> The fact that "we" have the Official NTP Documentation means nothing to
> Google.
>>
>> > I gave up
>>
>> That was your choice. You could have kept looking. Or you could have
>> used Google correctly and restricted your search to the appropriate
>> domain.
>
> Well, that's a helpful tip for next time, thanks.
>
> However, my real point was that the Official NTP Documentation
> should be higher placed in the Google search, perhaps by the
> addition of some keywords or heading tags.  It seems obscure enough
> already, without shrouding it in twikie dust.

No, that is exactly the approach that Google seeks to ensure _doesn't_
work.

What would actually bring its "placement" higher would be for people
at _other_ sites to have pointers to the Official NTP Documentation.

That frankly _is_ what I see if I enter either:
 "ntp"
   or
 "ntp documentation"

I have added a (not previously existant) link to
<http://www.ntp.org/documentation.html> to my page on NTP, which is
the sort of thing that causes Google to raise pages' rankings.

There; I have done my bit.

If other people want to improve the NTP "home's" ranking, the thing to
do is to link to it on your own web sites...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/ntp.html