[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Andrew Hood ajhood at fl.net.oz
Tue Nov 4 10:01:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:54:28 +1100, Nelson Minar wrote:

> hmurray at suespammers.org (Hal Murray) writes:
>> Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to encourage ISPs to
>> run a NTP server for their clients and/or encourage people to
>> ask their ISP for the IP address of their NTP server.
>
> I wish that'd work, but given the current economic climate I can't
> imagine ISPs volunteering to run and support yet another service. It's
> also asking too much for most users to configure an NTP server at all,
> although maybe DHCP would help.

They probably already do to keep their own boxes in sync. They may not
bother telling the customer that they do or how to take advantage of the
service.

> We've already got the servers. MacOS has ntp.apple.com and Windows has
> time.windows.com. They use them by default. Together that should
> service 99% of the desktop computers on the Internet. But it doesn't
> seem to be sufficient. Why not?

If all the internet was on the continental US that might be sufficient. M$
and Apple both have non-US subsidiaries on which they could add NTP
service.

> Then there's the probelm of accuracy. SBC's routers all serve NTP, but
> they're 1 second off. And apparently time.windows.com used to be 9
> minutes off!
>   http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,76744,00.asp

My ISP's NTP server (stratum 2) often gets marked a falseticker. At present
it is the only server I use which has a negative offset. All the others
are positive.

--
Avoid reality at all costs.
$email =~ s/oz$/au/o;