[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Nov 4 13:55:09 UTC 2003

On 2003-11-04, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> Please visit the NTP TWiki (http://twiki.ntp.org) and click the
>> 'Time Servers' link in the LHS column (or point your browser at
>> http://twiki.ntp.org/servers/). You don't need to register to browse
>> the Time Server lists.
>
> I tried that - it took about 8 times longer for the page to appear
> than for a regular page. I almost thought it was broken.....

http://twiki.ntp.org/servers is a mod_rewrite redirect to
http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

You are, of course, free to bookmark the "real" Servers.WebHome URL

> If you intend people to visit that page first, it should be first on
> the list.

The current "home page" for the NTP TWiki is Support.WebHome

> It would also be nicer if the colours were less garish.

The Servers Web uses a light grey background (for the WebMenu background
and other page highlights). Un-visited links are blue. Visited links are
maroon. What *specifically* do you find to be garish? How would you change
it?

<snip>

>> You (and anyone else, for that matter) are welcome to suggest ways
>> that we can improve the NTP.Servers Web and all the other community
>> supported resouces on the NTP TWiki. You're also welcome to open a
>> TWiki account and contribute directly.
>
> I would love to contribute, but amongst the other things putting me
> off are....
>
> - I find the system too slow

We're working on this.

> - I thought that search engines did not query dynamically built pages,
> any efforts would be hidden

We have *temporarily* blocked spiders until we resolve the performance
issues. Any spider that is allowed into the TWiki *will* index it.

You may also use the TWiki's built in full-text search capabilities.

> - I checked out the NTP support section. Instead of "how to get",
> "how to install" and "how to configure" being near the start of the
> section, I was put off by having "Authentication keys", "Reference
> clocks" and "How to compile". To me, this is the wrong emphasis.

Really? Here's the "top-level" of the Table Of Contents that I see on
Support.WebHome:

1. NTP Support Contents
2. Quick Start Guides & Hints
3. Installing NTP
4. Designing Your NTP Network
5. Configuring NTP
6. Starting NTP
7. Monitoring NTP
8. Troubleshooting NTP
9. Testing NTP's Behavior

BTW: It's all a Work-In-Progress. You're welcome to join and help improve
things. That's the whole point of using a TWiki.

> - The NTP for Windows support section is mis-spelt

No. It's not.

The title of the material in that topic is "NTP 4.x for Windows NT"
which, for me, translates to a topic name (it's a WikiWord) of
NTPFourWindowsNTHints

That's "NTP Four (for) Windows NT Hints"

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>
The Official NTP Documentation and FAQ are linked from