[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 15:24:53 UTC 2003

> > It would also be nicer if the colours were less garish.
>
> The Servers Web uses a light grey background (for the WebMenu background
> and other page highlights). Un-visited links are blue. Visited links are
> maroon. What *specifically* do you find to be garish? How would you
change
> it?

Taking: http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

1 - I would lighten the menu background, to a very slight off-white
2 - I would avoid the lighter colours for text e.g. "NTP support", "Rules
of engagement"

There is too great a difference between the black text on a white
background and the pale text on a pale background.  The same comments
apply to the page: http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome where I find
the yellow background somewhat too dark.  The use of colour is good, but
it needs a lighter touch, I feel.  This is subjective.  My "garish" is too
strong a word - perhaps "contrasty" or "bright" would be more appropriate.

[]
> > - I checked out the NTP support section. Instead of "how to get",
> > "how to install" and "how to configure" being near the start of the
> > section, I was put off by having "Authentication keys", "Reference
> > clocks" and "How to compile". To me, this is the wrong emphasis.
[]

I refer to:

  http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/NTPFourWindowsNTHints

To gain greater acceptance by the Windows community, I feel the sections
should be re-ordered, indeed, from queries on this newsgroup it seems to
me that even in the Linux/Unix community there is an increasing desire for
an install and go solution rather than "I want to compile it for myself".
(Please be aware that although I am a Windows user, I did actually want to
at least try compiling it myself).

[]
> BTW: It's all a Work-In-Progress. You're welcome to join and help
improve
> things. That's the whole point of using a TWiki.

I hope I am helping to make improvements by having these topics aired in
public _before_ any changes are made.

> > - The NTP for Windows support section is mis-spelt
>
> No. It's not.
>
> The title of the material in that topic is "NTP 4.x for Windows NT"
> which, for me, translates to a topic name (it's a WikiWord) of
> NTPFourWindowsNTHints
>
> That's "NTP Four (for) Windows NT Hints"

To me it rates with duudz and such similar spellings.  In any case,
referring to Windows NT rather than Windows ties you down to a
soon-to-be-unsupported version of the OS.  I prefer English to wiki words.

Cheers,
David