[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20031104T080139 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Tue Nov 4 16:31:27 UTC 2003

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:
> The Servers Web uses a light grey background (for the WebMenu background
> and other page highlights). Un-visited links are blue. Visited links are
> maroon. What *specifically* do you find to be garish? How would you change
> it?

Would it be possible to lighten up the highlighting colors a bit by
adding more white to them?  The highly saturated colors are hell on
the eyes.  A small hint of color is nice.  Too much and it becomes
hard to read.  Yes I know there are some web authoring documents with
lists of color for compatibility with 16-color VGA-only framebuffers.
Ignore them.

Another serious problem, at least for me, is the font sizes.  Many
sections are specified in *pixels* instead points.  That is pretty
evil.  Folks with 100dpi monitors (or shudder, 133dpi) get boned.  I
found myself zooming to 120% or 150% just to get readable fonts for
some of the examples.  (ref:
http://twiki.ntp.org//pub/TWiki/GnuSkin/twikiblue.css search for
"font-size" and see all of them that are specified in "px" instead of
"pt").

Even changing the fonts to use a specified point size is still a bit
sub-optimal since the user may have selected a bigger font-size than
normal due to bad eyesight.  I'd prefer to see relative font size
specs only with the "normal" text size being whatever the user's
browser has selected.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
           The From: address is valid.  Don't mess with it.