[ntp:questions] Re: internal ntp not reachable

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Tue Nov 4 19:16:32 UTC 2003

"dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> writes:
>     I've got a FreeBSD machine acting as a firewall/ntpd server for an
> internal network. The machine goes out to the net and updates it's time via
> a time server since it can not keep the correct time. I then try to update
> internal machines from this box, which does not work, i've opened port 123
> udp but an nmap scan of the machine does not show anything listening on that
> port, however netstat on the machine itself shows udp 123 open. Not sure
> where to go to debug this, any help appreciated.

When you say "The [FreeBSD] machine goes out to the net and updates
it's time" do you mean that you are running ntpd on the machine, and
it is getting time from another server, or do you mean that you are
periodically setting its clock by fetching the time from the server?
If you don't have ntpd running, nobody is listening to UDP port 123.

Dale