[ntp:questions] change in restriction behavior in NTP4.20?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 18:15:26 UTC 2003

When I installed Slackware Linux 9.1, it shipped with NTP 4.1.2 which
was the current release at the time.  I upgraded to NTP 4.2.0, and
suddenly couldn't connect to any time servers at all.  I finally figured
out what the problem was.  The default configuration file from Slackware
for NTP has the following lines in it:
# Don't serve time or stats or trust anyone else by default (more
#secure)
restrict default noquery notrust nomodify
# Trust ourselves.  :-)
restrict 127.0.0.1

Apparently, the meaning of notrust is to not let any server connect
unless it uses encryption, but I get the idea that this was not what it
meant in 4.1.2.  So, has the meanings of the restrict options changed?
What would accomplish the goal of making NTP act as a client only, and
not serving time or anything else?  I currently have the whole line
commented out for now.