[ntp:questions] Re: Taming the pinball machine

Roy roy at suespammers.org
Mon Nov 10 03:25:05 UTC 2003

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote in message news:<3FAA852A.A621A420 at udel.edu>...
> Roy,
>
> Can you clarify the login problem? Login as anonymous works from here
> (campus).

Hi Dave,

I get much the same message that Barry mentions.  Access denied
because login failed.  However, I can find no indication in my
firewall logs that there is any unsuccessful attempt to connect to my
system.  Of course, this system can connect to other ftp servers just
fine.  It may be an interesting coincidence that my connection also
has a domain alias through dyndns.org...  Here's the terminal log:

7> ftp
ftp> open ftp.udel.edu
Connected to huey.udel.edu.

Name (ftp.udel.edu:me2): ftp
X.ne.client2.attbi.com, access denied into UDEL EECIS, contact
staff at eecis.udel.edu for reason
ftp: Login failed.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
ftp> bye
8> ftp ftp.udel.edu
Connected to huey.udel.edu.

Name (ftp.udel.edu:me2): anonymous
X.ne.client2.attbi.com, access denied into UDEL EECIS, contact
staff at eecis.udel.edu for reason
ftp: Login failed.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
ftp>

> A quicker way is with a browser to
> ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/software/.

This seems crazy, but Microsoft interet explorer returns a "Cannot
find server" error with this url.  Even replacing the DNS name with
the direct IP address gives the same error.  As always, thanks for
your assistance.

Have a great time,

roy
--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California.  Please do
not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to