[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd logging under Windows

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Nov 11 01:35:09 UTC 2003

Jan Ceuleers <janspam.ceuleers at computer.org> wrote in message news:<obspqv04di05cnom7rpfr5jm5b4l9854v0 at 4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:37:59 +0100, "Maarten Wiltink"
> <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
>
> >Curious. My Windows logs Application events for NTP (when it steps
> >the clock), but never Security ones. Under what account does it run?
>
> Under the local system account. Note that this is my translation back
> into English from the Dutch "lokale systeemaccount".
>
> Running XP home edition on a laptop.
>
> Thanks, Jan

NTP is not the one logging Security events, that's a function of the
O/S. You'll have to ask Microsoft about that. The problem with XP
home edition is that it doesn't support security permissions so that
you can't access ACL's to set up any permissions.

A future version of the installer will set up a special account to run
NTP as a service and it will only have the privileges it needs to run
as a service and to change the clock. The Windows installer for BIND
9.3.0 already incorporates this, but BIND 9.3.0 has not yet been released.

Danny