[ntp:questions] pseudo-newbie offbeat question

Mark J. Bailey mjb at jobsoft.com
Tue Nov 11 12:15:36 UTC 2003

hi

i am not an NTP guru by a long shot.  I am not a complete newbie either.  I
have medical group client that has a situation that may (or may not) have an
obvious fix.  I have looked at the FAQ but still am not sure that what my
client needs to do is addressed.  basically, they have a Win2K server that
is "master" clock internally.  They have a Win2K data interface engine
gateway that sync to that.  They also have a lab information system that
runs on top of Linux (on IBM Z-series hardware).  We configured Linux to
sync with the Win2K master (and that works).   The Linux is Redhat 8.0 for
what it is worth.  NTP syncs just fine.  However, what is happening is that
the interface engine and the lab system have to be almost exactly synced for
the lab results to link "logically" into their win2k based electronic
medical records system.  What is happening is that if the linux lab system
drifts ahead of the interface engine by even a few milliseconds, it causes
problems with the setup the EMR vendor has configured for lab results to be
properly tied in with the patient record, etc.  NOTE: I am just the linux
consultant - I have no involvement in the lab system nor the interface
engine nor the EMR system.  so, all of that is out of my sphere of
influence.

what I have been charged with is this....  If the linux lab system can
consistently "lag" behind the interface engine (and, well, the win2k master
clock server), this "fudge" will keep everything consistent.  So, basically,
they want the linux lab system to always remained synced to the master clock
server by 1 second.  This seems like a "slew" or "tickadj" type of issue,
but, again, not being much more than a BASIC NTP setup kind-of-guy, I am
just not sure how to go about this.

Any pointers or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Mark J. Bailey, President/CEO, Jobsoft Incorporated
277 Wilson Pike Circle, Suite 105, Brentwood, TN 37027
mjb at jobsoft.com EMAIL, http://www.jobsoft.com/ WEB
615-425-0932x20,615-425-0935 FAX,615-308-9099 CELL

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary,
confidential, trade secret or privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation
of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for
delivering this message to an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.