[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Dale R. Worley worley at theworld.com
Wed Nov 12 03:10:50 UTC 2003

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> writes:
> Once again, I will say that anything in the public twiki space
> is totally open to world-wide access, including any and all known
> search engines.

I fear that this conversation is veering severely from what should be
the actual point:  Despite that the TWiki can theoretically be indexed
by any spider, in practice it is not.  In a sense, that's a trivial,
technical matter, due to the performance issue, etc.  But from the
user's point of view, it's critical, the TWiki is just completely out
of sight.  It's sort of like chopping up 100 feet of a 1000 mile long
highway, it's not a big thing, it just removes much of its use.

In this case, it's counterproductive to say "anything in the public
twiki space is open ... including any and all known search engines"
without modification, because it leaves the naive with an impression
which is the exact opposite of reality.  Much better to say "once we
get the performance problem fixed and allow the spiders in, anything
in the public twiki space will be open ...".

Dale