[ntp:questions] Re: Oncore driver in 4.2.0

Chris Stenton jacs at gnome.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 10:07:31 UTC 2003

news:ea26a3f3.0311130020.f3c4f58 at posting.google.com...
news:<vr4ulaahnieu50 at corp.supernews.com>...
> > >I take it you have a different oncore?  (Or maybe mine is missing a
> > >setting which is necessary for it to do a site survey?)
> >
> > Might be different firmware.
> >
> > Some GPS units come in two versions - one for stationary timekeeping
> > and another for normal/mobile position tracking.
>
> Right. According to my Oncore User's Guide (June 1998), the
> position-hold mode command (@@At), which can also initiate a
> site survey, is in the UT Oncore models but not in GT Oncore.
>

> Sorry I don't have any information for the M12 Oncore.

Its the same.  The non timing Oncore allows you to use NMEA but does not
have the site survey ability.
My timing Oncore has version 2.0  of the firmware.

Another feature I have just noticed is that if you use HARDPPS and ntpd
decides on its list of good tickers before the GPS decides to play ball and
talk to ntpd then the system clock jumps 200ms. I assume the kernel is not
being told which edge of the pulse to use for 1PPS. But should it be allowed
to be used by the kernel anyway as the clock has not been validated at that
point?

Chris