[ntp:questions] no servers suitable for synchronization

dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Thu Nov 13 19:23:53 UTC 2003

Hello,
    Still trying to get ntpd going on my network. I'm now getting the error:
no servers suitable for synchronization found
when i issue the command:
ntpdate -b 192.168.0.35
I've confirmed that ntpd is running on that box udp port 123 is being
allowed through. On the ntp server it has this in it's ntp.conf file:

server PublicNtpServerName prefer
restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1 nomodify
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify nopeer

and on the client workstation, both are FreeBSD boxes if that makes a
difference and again ntpd is running on the workstation as well:

restrict default ignore
server 192.168.0.35
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

Suggestions welcome.