[ntp:questions] Re: Solaris doesn't like Active Directory NTP?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Nov 14 15:35:07 UTC 2003

ilmdba at yahoo.com (ilmdba) wrote in message news:<e4d69b0c.0311132319.502c78ac at posting.google.com>...
> hi i've got a whole slew of unix boxes, linux, solaris, irix, osx,
> etc. that i need to point to windows active directory server for time.
>
> my linux clients seem to have no problem binding to the AD servers,
> but all my solaris clients don't seem to like it (if i understand this
> # properly).  this includes solaris 7, 8 and 9 systems.

[SNIP]

> which i've found no explainantion for, but some other posts indicate
> that this means it will -not- synchronize time with the server?  is
> this correct?
>
> and if so, any ideas why xntpd doesn't like AD?

Active Directory has nothing to do with time. Those are separate
functions. There is s Windows Time service that synchronizes to
a server at Microsoft on all Windows 2K systems, but that is on
all systems, Workstation and Server.

Maybe you can explain better what needs to be synchronized and
we can come up with some solutions. One solution is use one of
the Linux boxes that is already set up with ntpd and have it
synchronize with some of the stratum 2 time servers externally
and install ntp on the Windows boxes (and turning off Windows
Time Service). This would then keep everything in synch.

Danny