[ntp:questions] Re: Solaris doesn't like Active Directory NTP?

ilmdba ilmdba at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 22:25:05 UTC 2003

Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message news:<bp21jp$brd$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>...
> ilmdba wrote:
>
> > hi i've got a whole slew of unix boxes, linux, solaris, irix, osx,
> > etc. that i need to point to windows active directory server for time.
>
> I don't think you really _need_ to point them at AD, just that you'd
> like to use a single reference for them all, right?
>
> I suggest you designate one or more of your Sun boxes as your primary
> servers, and then use those as the source for your AD root as well.
>
> Microsoft's (S)NTP implementation is broken as per the relevant RFCs.
>
> Terje

yes i _need_ to use the NTP services on our AD servers, which actually
is the Win2K NTP service.  our linux time servers are going away, and we
have many other companies in the AD forest all using the Win2K time services
on the AD servers to sync.  our unix clients need to tap into this, without
going through some middle set of NTP servers.

our previously existing middle set of NTP servers have been causing problems,
and are going away.  it makes sense to point -all- of our systems at this
one set of NTP servers (which happen to be Win2K-based), since they are
already syncing time for all of our windows boxes, and they are getting time
from upstream AD/Win2K servers.

has -anyone- gotten any solaris box to point to NTP Win2K.