[ntp:questions] Re: is there a way to "lock" the drift frequency

wayne wayne at midwestcs.com
Sun Nov 16 12:09:16 UTC 2003

In <bp4uuh$2mt$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com> Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> writes:

> Coasting past periods of widely variable basic cpu frequency is
> reather hard, I believe you have to either disable APM, or live with a
> sawtooth clock performance.

I agree that ntp simply can't correct for APM mucking up the cpu
clock, however, having ntp react by changing the frequency just
doesn't work very well.

Over the last couple of years of watching ntp, I *know* that when
everything is running fine, the frequency is x +/- 5%.  When ntp
either gets bad data from the net or bad data from the clock, it will
often try changing the frequency by more than 100% and it can take
hours or days for things to settle back down.  It seems wrong to need
another program running to watch ntp and reset it when it goes off
into lala land.

This is why I'm wondering if there is a way to "lock" the drift
frequency to always be within a certain range.

-wayne