[ntp:questions] Re: is there a way to "lock" the drift frequency

John Sager jcs at no_s_p_a_m.zoo.bt.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 10:46:57 UTC 2003

In article <x4ptfutml1.fsf at footbone.midwestcs.com>,
	wayne <wayne at midwestcs.com> writes:
> In <bp3j44$aut$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com> Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> writes:
>
>> tinker huffpuff 36000
>>
>> would allow ntpd to 'coast' past up to 10 hours of excessive one-way load.
>
> Thanks for the info.  I've been using "tinkier huffpuff 7200", and
> that seems to help, but it doesn't seem to cure the problem.  It
> certainly doesn't fix the problem with my laptop's APM problem.

A completely different way of solving the problem would be to
use the traffic shaping features of *BSD or Linux, but
that requires you to have all your ADSL traffic go through
the traffic shaping box. Essentially you set up three queues,
one for the web server traffic, one for the NTP queries and
one for everything else. You then set up the NTP queue as
the highest priority one, and the web traffic as lowest
priority. Since your web server is rate-limited by the upstream
rate (<< downstream rate), then your NTP queries should get good
service in both directions.