[ntp:questions] Re: Synching all client machines to 1 server all on the same LAN

Brian Utterback Brian.Utterback at Sun.removeme.COM
Mon Nov 17 16:39:55 UTC 2003

Kevin Birkett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been working with NTP for 2 days trying to synchronize several client
> machines to 1 server.  I would like to do this with multicast since we use
> DHCP and the server IP addr could change.  It seems as if it would be simple
> to configure a broadcast on the server, and then a multicastclient on each
> client machine.  However, I can't get the times to sync up.
>
> Here is the Server ntp.conf file:
>
> logconfig all
> logfile /etc/ntpd.log
>
> broadcast 224.0.1.1
>
> server 127.127.1.0
> fudge	127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift

You need to add the "prefer" keyword on to the server line. The NTP
daemon will not generate broadcast packets based on the "LOCAL" refclock
without this extra step.

--
blu

Lesson from the blackout of 2003:
The power grid is THE most critical infrastructure, upon which all
others depend, and nobody really knows how it works.