[ntp:questions] Re: Taming the pinball machine

Tom Schulz adi at conch.msen.com
Mon Nov 17 18:16:28 UTC 2003

 ------------------ text removed --------------

>I recommend that only folks that fit the profile above try the test
>version at ftp.udel.edu:pub/ntp/software/ntp-4.2.0.gz. This is only a
>temporary spot under an assumed name until the crew rolls a suitably
>versioned model to the web.
>
>Dave

Well I don't fit the profile, but the new code fixed a problem for me.
I tried the original 4.2.0 on our HP-UX systems and found that if the
clock was not set almost perfectly before starting ntpd, ntpd would
jump between large negative and positive offsets and would never
stabilize.  Ntpd was using the default values for all the polling
parameters.  With the test version, ntpd quickly gets the clock
to the right time without using a huge frequency offset and quickly
settles down to a stable frequency offset with no jumping around.
I also noticed that the Solaris version of ntpd stabilizes in less
time after a restart using the test version of ntpd.
--
Tom Schulz
schulz at adi.com