[ntp:questions] Re: Excessive polling

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Nov 18 17:00:26 UTC 2003

Time,

NTPv3 (xntpd) operates as you describe; the poll intervals are clamped
to the reference clock. NTPv4 (ntpd) has no such restriction; the poll
intervals cheerfully escalate for sources other than the reference
clock. In the latter the clock discipline loop determines the minimum
poll interval independent of the particular source and this is usually
well above the minimum poll interval. However, some sources
intentionally oversample, like reference clocks. Other sources should
follow the loop, not the reference.

Dave