[ntp:questions] Re: Differences in behaviour of ntpd 4.1.1 and 4.2.0 on Windows XP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit
Thu Nov 20 17:03:26 UTC 2003

> I am a little confused over the differences in behaviour of ntpd 4.1.1
> and 4.2.0 on Windows XP.
>
> I have an acutime 2000 connected to a PC running ntp.    I am
> comparing the offset between the acutime pps output and the pc time as
> shown by an oscilloscope with the offset as reported by "ntpq -c pe".
>   With 4.2.0 the offset as reported by ntpq tends to zero as expected
> but the oscilloscope shows an offset of anything up to 700
> milliseconds (this offset value varies each time ntp is restarted).
> With 4.1.1 the offset as reported by ntpq agrees with the oscilloscope
> to within the millisecond.

Is there any question of the edge polarity of the two versions being
different?  I.e. is the pulse about 700ms wide and NTP is triggering off
the wring edge?  I don't run a PPS source, just throwing in the
suggestion....

David