[ntp:questions] Re: Clogging defense

Richard Schmidt res at tuttle.usno.navy.mil
Fri Nov 21 17:10:05 UTC 2003

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote in message news:<3FAB1F5B.617C439C at udel.edu>...

> Okay, so I attempted to verify Wolfgang's report. I found the first
> packet did get returned, but the suceeding three packets came back KoD,
> so USNO has modified the algorithm. Great, now I'll do the same. The
> ntpdate program does still work, but it will be limited to one packet
> exchange.

We did not modify the 4.2.0 algorithm, but (inadvertently) left KoD off one
of the load-balanced servers.  The load balancer is supposed to use persistence
to direct all packets to the same server, but...if you still see problems
please complain to us. At Washington we see 3000-3800 PPS and reply to about
85% of them. There are traffic surges every hour on the hour, so schedule your
ntpdates at other than 00 minutes.