[ntp:questions] Re: xntpd quits on AIX 5.2 LPAR

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Fri Nov 21 22:31:47 UTC 2003

Tom Gendron wrote:

> Need some expert help:
>   On an IBM pSeries 630 running in LPAR mode, AIX 5.2.
>   I have the xntpd running fine on 2 of the 3 partitions.  The third
> partiton starts xntpd but shuts down after 2-3 minutes.

Which version? IBM used to ship xntpd v3.5 or something, while ntpd v4.2
is the current stable release.

> Error code -9017.  Found a reference saying that broadcastclient was
> interferring with the configured server.  Have tried commenting out
> broadcastclient and it did not help.  both of the other 2 partitions have
> both server and broadcast client configured.
>
> Step 1, start it
> # startsrc -s xntpd
> 0513-059 The xntpd Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is 233656.
>
> Step 2, check it
>
> # ntpq -p
>
> remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset disp

> ==

I believe I know what the problem is, even though the messages are
really strange:

> dns1.maricopa.g ntp-1.gw.uiuc.e 3 u 57 64 1 2.20 4154737 15875.0
> dns2.maricopa.g ntp-1.gw.uiuc.e 3 u 56 64 1 2.12 4154728 15875.0

Notice that the offset field is 4 M ms, or 4154 seconds!

This is so far out that (x)ntpd will terminate itself as soon as it
determines that this offset is consistent.

I.e. fix your local clock first, it must be approximately correct before
starting ntpd.

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>