[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client for windows ce.net

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Sat Nov 22 20:48:52 UTC 2003

Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> "Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:bpodgk$smh$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...
> [...]
>
>>Getting  < 1 ms on NT (any version) is kind of hard, given that the OS
>>clock gives you 10 ms resolution.
>

> People keep saying that, and my (admittedly quiet) NT4 servers keep
> synchronising to well under a microsecond.

"WELL under a MICROsecond"???

I've never even heard about any other OS than FreeBSD doing this, and
that only with a replacement motherboard crystal and a Motorola Oncore.

Please tell!

>>The current NTPD for NT code uses a huge hack, in the form of a realtime
>>thread which timestamps each timer tick, to be able to interpolate
>>between those OS time stamps.
>

> But it's a well-understood hack, and it works.

Sure, but would it be available on Win CE .Net, with a virtual machine
running either interpreted or with JIT compilation?

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>