[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client for windows ce.net

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sat Nov 22 22:29:43 UTC 2003

"Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
news:bpoi3k$vj6$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> > "Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
> > news:bpodgk$smh$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...

> >>Getting  < 1 ms on NT (any version) is kind of hard, given that the OS
> >>clock gives you 10 ms resolution.

> > People keep saying that, and my (admittedly quiet) NT4 servers keep
> > synchronising to well under a microsecond.
>
> "WELL under a MICROsecond"???
>
> I've never even heard about any other OS than FreeBSD doing this, and
> that only with a replacement motherboard crystal and a Motorola Oncore.
>
> Please tell!

Er, I've made a mistake. I should have said millisecond. I meant to.

And the one that just made the tape backup drifted out to 1.339, so I
can't claim it's all the time, either.

>>> The current NTPD for NT code uses a huge hack, in the form of a
>>> realtime thread which timestamps each timer tick, to be able to
>>> interpolate between those OS time stamps.
>>
>> But it's a well-understood hack, and it works.
>
> Sure, but would it be available on Win CE .Net, with a virtual machine
> running either interpreted or with JIT compilation?

Probably not. Operating systems differ in the interface they offer their
applications. That doesn't invalidate the Windows NT implementation of
NTP's using what it can.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink