[ntp:questions] Re: Suppressing IP6; Keeping /dev/ppsX; simple MSF clocks and monitors

Paul Croome Paul.Croome at softwareag.com
Mon Nov 24 10:05:21 UTC 2003

Chris Hastie <chris at nospam.oak-wood.co.uk> wrote in message news:<iojTDbCm8Hv$EwLf at nospam.oak-wood.co.uk>...
(...)
> Simple MSF clocks and monitors
> ==============================
> I've noticed after producing a few graphs that my server synchronised to
> a simple MSF clock (the Jonathan Buzzard one) tends to be pretty close
> to other servers at times that I'm generally sat at the console but have
> offsets of around -1.6ms at other times.
(...)

1.6ms is pretty good performance for an LF radio clock. If you want to do
better than that, you'll have to consider GPS. I have a professional DCF77
receiver that right now is +2.6ms.

The radiation from a monitor is a good way to swamp the radio signal, so,
depending on the proximity of monitor and antenna, I would expect you to get
more reliable radio reception when you are not working.

Paul