[ntp:questions] Re: Using PPS without Linux Nanokernel ?

Tue Nov 25 10:10:09 UTC 2003

Brian Frantz <bfrantz at grc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to use PPS with a stock Linux 2.4.x
> kernel without applying the nanokernel mods included in the PPSkit ?
>
> In other words, I just want to patch the serial driver to support
> the PPS interface and include the timepps.h file.

You mean implement the PPS API without the kernel time modifications?
Well, IF your kernel can get consistent time at interrupt time, you
don't need the modifications, and the PPS API is in nanoseconds, while
the kernel is in microseconds. Basically you could do that. However
it's less messing if you just apply the whole patch.

Ulrich