[ntp:questions] Re: Oncore refclock config for freebsd

John R. Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Nov 25 13:17:05 UTC 2003

--On Tuesday, November 25, 2003 3:42 AM +0000 Harlan Stenn
<stenn at maccarony.ntp.org> wrote:

> Well, I see that:
>
>  include/ntp.h:#define REFCLK_ONCORE             30      /* Motorola UT
> Oncore GPS */
>
> so this implies that your ntpd was not compiled with the ONCORE refclock.
>
> The oncore driver compilation is system-dependent; if you go to
> /usr/ports/net/ntp/work/whatever/config.h and look you should be able to
> see if it was really compiled in or not.
>
> I would be thrilled to receive bk patches that would let folks give
> an option to ntpd that would "dump" the compilation configuration.

Well, chalk this one up to utter FreeBSD newbiedom (as I originally
guessed).   ntpd was apparently installed in /usr/sbin as part of the
default installation, though there was no config file in /etc.  When I
built the ports version and did "make install" it put it in /usr/local/bin.
So, when I started the daemon, I used the /usr/sbin version which
apparently doesn't have the Oncore clock built in.  When I explicitly
started /usr/local/bin/ntpd, all is well.

We live and learn.  A new OS will bring excitement into your life.

John