[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Nov 25 20:30:04 UTC 2003

On 2003-11-12, Dale R. Worley <worley at theworld.com> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:
>
>> WikiWords are an essential feature of Wikis (including TWiki).
>>
>> from http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/TWiki/WikiWord ...
>>
>> A WikiWord consists of two or more words with initial capitals, run
>> together.
>>
>> When you type a WikiWord, you establish a hyperlink. It's as easy as
>> that.
>>
>> WikiWords are styled like this because:
>
> I don't want to sound like a curmugeon, but beware that much of your
> audience is not yet convinced that TWiki is a particularly useful tool
> for this purpose. So it comes off badly when you argue "it *must*
> be this way because that's the way TWiki requires it to [be]"

It is possible to "hide" WikiWords behind "normal hyper-links". And we
do so where it makes sense. But the topic names need to be WikiWords
unless we are willing to lose significant amounts of functionality (e.g.
automatic link creation, automatic link renaming).

The WikiWord that has figured prominently in this discussion
(NTPFourWindowsNT) is _only_ visible in the title bar at the top of that
topic. The hyper-links in the NTP.Support TOC are labeled as "NTP 4.x
for Windows NT".

IIRC the OPs original complaint was that they didn't like the topic
name because it looked like "leet-speak". What they failed to realize
is that, because we have a Wiki instead of a traditional web-site, they
could have changed the "offending" title to something they considered to
be more appropriate.

The point of using a Wiki is that it allows _any_ interested participant
to contribute. If you feel that you can explain something better,
go ahead and make you contribution. If you see the need for a topic
addressing some area of NTP, go ahead and make your contribution.

We would be better off if people would spend their time and energy
developing our community resources instead of engaging in pointless
sniping on usenet.

> many people will see it as another reason for abandoning TWiki.

Really? We've had quite a few registrations lately.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>
The Official NTP Documentation and FAQ are linked from